The Best Chili Recipe Ever in Time for the Chili-Cook Off
For years, I protected my secret ‘Dragons Breath Chili’ recipe. To insure no one ever knew what my “super secret ingredient” was. I would strip the labels off the cans and then pour the secret ingredient into glass jars.
A couple of years ago, the Abilene Fire Fighters Association used my chili recipe for the big chili pot at the Boy’s Ranch Chili Super Bowl and I swore them to secrecy. I was mortified when I saw on Facebook, pictures of Firefighters holding up cans of my, you guessed it “super secret ingredient”.
So, today’s your lucky day. How would you like to make your own pot of award winning Dragon’s Breath Chili? Here’s the recipe, super secret ingredient and all. Tell me how it turns out.
Dragon’s Breath Chili – Family Size
- 5 pounds lean ground meat, coarse ground
- 10 – 1.25 oz packets of McCormick Original Chili Mix Seasonings
- 3 – 14-oz cans cans of tomato sauce
- 3 – 32 oz cartons of chicken broth (preferably low sodium)
- 3 medium onions, onions (peel and puree onions in a food processor)
- 3 Tsp of ground cumin
- Fry all your meat, all your onions in a skillet. After frying the meat with the onions, drain all the grease and meat juices.
- Then in a large stock pot add half of the tomato sauce, chicken broth and the chili mix. As you add your (fried and drained) meat into the pot, the chili will begin to thicken, thin it down by adding more chicken broth and/or tomato sauce (this is a texture preference, so it’s your call as to how thick or thin you want your chili).
- Let simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour, stirring constantly to keep from scorching. As chili simmers more broth and/or sauce may be needed due to evaporation. Adding the final ingredient 20 minutes prior to serving, stir in the powdered Cumin, all of it and then stir it like crazy for the next 20 minutes. Then enjoy!