Kids in Abilene Are Hooked on ‘Neighborhood Fishing’ Program
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department continues their 'Neighborhood Fishing' program in Abilene. This event gives parents and kids alike the chance to experience fishing inside the city limits of Abilene.
The 'Neighborhood Fishing' program's 'Trout Derby' is aimed at inner city kids who otherwise would never get the chance to learn about fishing. Michael Homer with TPWD says "If we teach a kid to fish, we'll feed them for a lifetime."
This free event is Saturday, February 17th, at Nelson Park. The TPWD Abilene continues to stock one local lake inside the city limits with fish every two weeks.
- Neighborhood Fishing
- Grover Nelson Park at the duck pond
Date and Time
- Saturday, February 17th, 2018
- 10am to 2pm Fishing
- Fishing licenses are required for all participants 17 or older
- Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. will stock Nelson Park bi-weekly
- Catfish are stocked regularly in spring and summer.
- Rainbow trout are stocked regularly in fall and winter
- Contact Michael Homer at 325-692-0921