Happy Memorial Day!  Remember the reason for the holiday.  Those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.  And a big salute to all active and past military personnel today too.   Thank you for your service.  I thought it might be fun to look at a few statistics about today's holiday activities, direct from grillmaestro.com:

1.  81 percent of U.S. households owns a grill.  I guess the other 19 percent are guests at their houses this weekend.

2.  The top day for cookouts is actually July 4th.  Memorial Day comes in second, and Labor Day rounds out the top three.

3.  What's on the grill today?  Hamburgers.  87 percent of us will grill a burger.  Steak comes in second, followed by chicken, and finally hot dogs in fourth place.

4.  We think of ourselves as major grillers here in Texas, but actually Norhteasterners cook out the most...no kidding!  This applies to grilling only, not smoking or slow pit roasting.  The southern U.S. would change places if we included those.

5.  As far as side items, corn on the cob is at the top of the list, followed by random veggies in 2nd place, and potatoes coming in third.

Make it a safe Memorial Day Weekend, and remember to be extra careful during that cookout.  Fire danger is extremely high in our region of Texas.  Keep a bucket and water hose handy and make sure you douse the coals.

More From 100.7 KOOL FM