Comic-Con 2014: ‘Family Guy’ Panel Teases Upcoming ‘Simpsons’ Crossover
Worlds will collide this fall as ‘The Simpsons’ and ‘Family Guy’ cross paths for the first time, with a little bit of ‘Futurama’ for good measure. We’re on hand in Ballroom 20 for Comic-Con 2014, so find out what happens when Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin meet up, beat up, and exchange families with our full account of the panel from San Diego Comic-Con!
- At the top of the hour, the panel showed off extensive footage of the ‘Family Guy’-‘Simpsons’ crossover episode “The Simpsons Guy,” airing for one full hour on September 28. In the footage we saw, the Griffins find themselves stranded in Springfield, of course taking up with its most famous family. Stewie begins imitating Bart’s most famous bits (his attempt at prank-calling Moe is admittedly dark), while Peter lures Homer into setting up one of those infamous ‘Family Guy' cutaways, revealing another familiar FOX animated face in the process. Plenty of great digs at one another, and all before Peter and Homer get into one of the more epic fights either series has ever seen.
- And yes, someone attempts to jump Springfield Gorge. Guess how it goes!
- Guest stars for the new season will include ‘The Goldbergs’ star Jeff Garland, ‘Mom’ and ‘Masters of Sex’ star Allison Janney, ‘Back to the Future’ star Lea Thompson, sportscaster Joe Buck, Julie Bowen from 'Modern Family,' and the one and only Liam Neeson!
- Liam Neeson appears as himself when Peter gets drunk and inists in his inebriated state that he could fight the ‘Taken’ star. Other plots for the season include Jesus returning for Christmas, while Peter and the others try to help him lose his virginity. Elsewhere, Meg becomes a foot fetish model, and Stewie ends up pregnant with Brian’s baby.
- A fan asked panelist Seth Green of any major parodies upcoming for either ‘Robot Chicken’ or ‘Family Guy,’ though producers could only say that Seth MacFarlane had still kicked around the idea of a ‘Star Trek’ episode to compliment the ‘Star Wars’ specials. MacFarlane remains busy with ‘Ted 2,’ though talk of a ‘Family Guy’ movie may pick up once the director gets more time in his schedule.
- One particularly funny gag teased, but not witnessed for “The Simpsons Guy” crossover involves Homer touting the show’s many Emmy wins above ‘Family Guy’’s respective zero.
- So, who was behind the wheel when a speeding car hit Brian Griffin, briefly killing him? Seth Green jokes that it was Justin Bieber, though the producers confess to not having given it much thought.
- Producers rattled off the notable instances of censorship the show has been through, particularly “When You Wish Upon a Weinstein,” and “Partial Terms of Endearment.” Most recently, Rich Appel noted that standards had asked him to “substitute” a gag that included Colin Farrell raping Peter, who was dressed as Mr. Potato Head. Colorful!
Well, what say you? Are you excited for 'Family Guy' season 13, by all we've learned from the Comic-Con 2014 panel? Tell us what you want to see from the new season in the comments!